Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Senator Warner Has a Change of Heart

Dear Senator Warner

Just about a week ago I wrote you to voice my vehement opposition to what appeared to be your support of president Bush's proposal to "surge" troops in Iraq. A quote you made just after the president's speech made it clear that you supported that foolhardy effort, and I let my feelings be known to you.

Then, just yesterday, this story was posted on the net

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/jan-june07/warner_01-23.html


regarding your discussions with Gwen Ifill at PBS.

I'm writing now to commend you for this change of heart on your part. Although I think your views on the surge are still not forceful enough, I much prefer this reasoned approach to keeping American kids out of harms way to what previously appeared to be your tacit approval of a policy that continues to cost us $7 billion a month.

The only "return" we are getting on that $7 billion each month is the nightly flights back to Dover Air Force Base, Delaware, where the coffins of recently sacrificed American kids are returned for burial.

I want to think that it was my letter to you that helped you change your mind on the surge. I know that it wasn't. However for whatever reason you are now viewing the surge (and maybe the president also?) in this new light, I highly commend you.

Please keep thinking of ways to get us out of this costly, barbaric quaqmire in Iraq. Sending 21,000 more American kids or even 21 more American kids to the killing fields will not change things one iota. Diplomacy will, and I hope to read soon how you are leading the way with Jim Webb to find a diplomatic solution to Bush's folly in Iraq.

Thanks again, and have a nice weekend.

No comments: