Monday, August 13, 2007

Beware the Dangers of Coffee


A British teenager was rushed to the hospital Wednesday after she drank 14 shots of espresso.

The Northern Echo, a Gannett publication, says 17-year-old Jasmine Willis slammed the potent drinks because she needed something to perk her up while working the morning shift at her father's cafe.

This is not a laughing matter. In March 2001 I overdosed on caffeine and wound up in the ER with a heart rate of 208. It took doctors 18 hours to convert me. The cardiologist said I had consumed too much caffeine. I went off caffeine cold turkey but the problem came back again in August 2002. I guess a life of coffee drinking screwed up my hearts electrical pathways. Now I'm on a drug to keep my heart in normal sinus rhythm and will be on it for the rest of my life.

No longer can I drink coffee (even de-caf has 3 percent caffeine). No tea but for herbal. No colas or Mountain Dew and not even any chocolate.

I know how this kid felt and its scary as hell when the feeling in your chest is like a fish flopping around on the bottom of a boat. So, cut down on your coffee intake no matter how much you consume.

No comments: