Monday, December 17, 2007

Dumbest Political Quotes of 2007



A friend sent me these quotes. Not sure where she got them so I hope I'm not stepping on too many toes by placing them here. Enjoy.

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney on abortion: "I never said I was pro-choice, but my position was effectively pro-choice. I changed my position. And I get tired of people that are holier-than-thou because they've been pro-life longer than I have. But I'm proud of the fact." It's nice to see him take pride in flip-flopping and pandering to social conservatives.

Rudy Giuliani on why his mistress Judith Nathan needed police protection: "These were all based upon threat assessments made by the New York City Police Department ... of what was necessary to protect her life, my life, other people's lives. Every single thing done he! re was done based upon the assessment of someone else that thi! s was ne cessary." The problem, according to the New York Daily News, is that Nathan was protected by taxpayers months before the affair was revealed in May 2000.

Fred Thompson seeking some love: "Can I have a round of applause?" That remark, according to the New York Times drew a "rustle of clapping and some laughter." The sad thing is that this remark in October has been the highlight of the Tennessee Republican's moribund campaign.

President Bush on the resignation of Alberto Gonzales: "It's sad," he said, adding that his Texas buddy had been "dragged through the mud for political reasons." Too bad for Bush that many Republicans wallowed in the mud with the Democrats who were trying to oust the most incompetent Attorney General in history.

Hilliary Clinton on NY Governor Eliot Spitzer's controversial plan to give illegal immigrants drivers' licenses: "I just want to add, I did not say that it should be done, but I certainly recognize why Gov. Spitzer is trying to do it. And we have failed." Moments earlier, the New York Democrat said, "They are driving on our roads..The possibility of them having an accident that harms themselves or others is just a matter of the odds." The lesson here is to wait a least one hour before swimming after a meal and flip-flopping.

Remember Tommy Thompson's short-lived campaign? In case you are wondering why the former Wisconsin governor isn't in the race any more, ! here's a quick refresher. In an April speech before a Jewish o! rganizat ion, Thompson tried to suck up to the crowd: "I'm in the private sector and for the first time in my life I'm earning money... You know that's sort of part of the Jewish tradition, and I do not find anything wrong with that. I enjoy that." I guess some of his best friends are Jewish too.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich on his Close Encounter of the Third Kind: "It was an unidentified flying object, OK? It's, like, it's unidentified." Enough said.

Actor Sean Penn on why he endorsed Kucinich: "I found the (recent Democratic) debate infuriating, nearly an argument for fascism with few exceptions, key among them Dennis Kucinich..Of course as a strategic politician, Mrs. Clinton pulled out her set of Ginzu knives and dominated once again on 'centrist' political strategy." Even this member of the liberal media is scratching his head over this one.

President Bush on Iran's non-existent nuclear threat
: "I've told people that if you're interested in avoiding World War III, it seems like you ought to be interested in preventing them (Iran) from having the knowledge necessary to make a nuclear weapon." That was October 18. In December, the Administration said intelligence showed that Iran had quit its nuclear program in 2003.

No comments: