Friday, September 21, 2007

Flipping Off Dick Cheney


I passed the Old Executive Office building as I walked down 17th Street NW yesterday afternoon, enroute from the Farragut West metro station to the World War II memorial. In front of this fascinatingly ornate building I saw the standard entourage of uniformed Secret Service agents accompanied by a couple in plain clothes (you can always tell the latter by the antennae sticking out of their ears).

Never being one to pass up an opportunity to make a political statement, I pulled out my cell phone to call a friend to tell him where I was standing. As I finished dialing my left hand mysteriously rose up above my head and suddenly, out of nowhere, the middle finger of my left hand extended itself. Then, as if magnetized, my extended finger found itself pointing at the Old Executive Office Building where Deadeye Dick Cheney has his office. Several years earlier just around the corner from the OEOB at the southwest entrance to the White House, I was able to give George Bush the finger, to his face, as he departed the people's house in a limo. Today I was able to complete a sweep of the unelected officials destroying this country by telling Cheney, through my finger, to go Cheney myself.

As I stood there giving the building my one-finger salute, I attracted the attention of two uniformed Secret Service agents. They were across the street from me watching me, no doubt because of my finger and the fact that I was on a cell phone. If only I knew enough Arabic to have a conversation with someone at a time like this. But I didn't. Instead I just waved the tips of my fingers at the SS agents, closed my cell phone, and walked south toward the Memorial.

Some days I feel really lucky to be living in Washington DC and having the opportunity to make statements like this - even though it was Cheney's office building I told to go Cheney itself not Deadeye himself. I guess its the thought that counts.

No comments: