Saturday, September 22, 2007

Incommunicado


The only time I have flown on Cayman Airways was in 1985 from Grand Turk to Miami. On that flight I noticed that the airline has a Green Sea Turtle as its tail emblem and with it came the words "We Go the Extra Smile for You." On arriving in Miami, my field assistant and I decided that those words were not Caribbean enough for this fine island airline. We thought long and hard over several boat drinks and finally came up with what we thought was an acceptable motto. It remained simple but, to us, it sent a powerful Caribbean message. What we came up with was: "Yeah Mon Fly Caymon."

Excited about the possibilities of helping Cayman Airways become more Caribbean in its reach we sent a letter to the Vice President for Marketing at Cayman and provided him with our idea. We were so serious about this new name that we told the airline they could have it for free. Simply seeing our idea on the tail of every Cayman Airways jet (they had 3 at the time) was compensation enough.

Cayman Airways never wrote back.

I last traveled to the Caymon islands in July 1987. After a 20 year plus hiatus I'm going back there today. My plane leaves in a few hours for long weekend in the islands, mon. From there I go to Wisconsin for the funeral of my uncle the marine. Being a Luddite technologically I don't have a laptop so I wont be back online until next week Wednesday. So when you don't see any Bush lampoonings for the next few days know that its because I'm playing. It's not because the Department of Homeland Surveillance storm troopers have finally hauled me away.

Maybe I'll work on another motto for Caymon Airways while I'm there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're careful about what books you're taking on your flight, Craig. Wired News reports that airport screeners are watching what you read... and they're required to submit the information to the government. We all know that reading Palast can get you tazered. Actually, this could start a whole new cottage industry of slip-on bookcovers with titles like: "Cheney the Great White Godlike Force For Good In Today's America", "America My Homeland, Love It Or Die A Horrible Death", "Tazing And The Power Of Persuasion", or my personal favorite, "It's Not Torture, It's Tough Love".