Wednesday, March 21, 2007

An Update on the Iraqnam War from Senator John Kerry

Hi

Here on the fourth anniversary of the beginning of the Iraq War, I just wanted to drop a quick note to all of you, updating you on the state of progress in the Iraq debate and legislation in the Senate.

Last week, I voted for legislation I brought to the floor with Sen. Harry Reid, Sen. Biden and Sen. Levin, legislation that demands, once again, that we change course and set a deadline for the redeployment of our troops in Iraq.

You were there at the start, so I don't need to remind you that when Russ Feingold and I first introduced legislation to do exactly that, there were 13 of us in the Senate that voted for it. Now, in no small part because of all of your work pushing for change, nearly the entire Democratic caucus stood together in this important vote -- 48 Democrats strong.

I just wanted to thank you, all of you, for getting us this far. Your help (and courage because I know it isn't always easy to speak out) has shifted the debate a long way. We still have more fighting to do, of course; the legislation came up just short of passing. I'm an impatient person, but I've been in the Senate long enough to know that these things take time. That's the nature of legislating. And we can't stop until we finish this fight. I learned a long time ago that you support the troops by getting the policy right, and that's the only endgame here -- but progress is progress, and I want you to know and see what you've accomplished.

I'll let you know some of the ways you can help. But that's later; for now, I just wanted to send off this email to thank you for getting us this far. Together, we can do this.

John Kerry

P.S. I saw this article a while ago ... I hope it's as big a reminder for you as it is for me of why we must get this job done:

(click on the post title for the article)



Paid for by John Kerry for Senate.

No comments: