Saturday, June 30, 2007

Invasion of the Party Snatchers


Last night Bill Moyers did an interview with Victor Gold, the deputy press secretary in Barry Goldwater's 1964 campaign for the Presidency. An avowed and admitted "conservative Republican," Gold has written a new book titled Invasion of the Party Snatchers - How the Holy Rollers and Neocons Destroyed the GOP You can order the book here
Moyers conducted his usual impeccable interview of Gold during which I found myself thinking "this guy sounds like my friend Mike and me talking - and we're both progressives." How could it have come to be that a staunch conservative could utter phrases that I thought only a flaming progressive like myself could utter? Victor Gold has become so disillusioned with the Republican Party that in 2006 he was praying for a Democratic victory in the Congress because he knew, among other things, that Democrats would revert to the basic principles of the Constitution that Republicans had long ago thrown away.

Its worth the time to watch the interview and learn how even Goldwater Republicans are fed up with the Party of George Bush and the neocon whack jobs.

No comments: