Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Mr Wizard Died Today


There are likely very few people involved in the sciences today who grew up in my baby boomer age group who can't say that "Mr Wizard" Don Herbert had some or alot of influence on them and their decision to become a scientist. I know that he certainly influenced me.

Its with more than a bit of sadness to learn that Mr Wizard died today of bone cancer.

I well remember him on television in afternoons after school mixing some chemicals and making some concoctions and telling us what it all meant and why one thing changed into another. My parents were coerced more than once into buying me a chemistry set because of constant pestering brought on by some experiment that Mr Wizard had conducted.

It was nice knowing you Mr. Wizard. You were certainly an influence on me becoming a scientist. But after struggling through Freshman Chemistry and then a horrible year from hell of Organic Chemistry I wish I had listened more when you talked about chemical reactions instead of looking out the window at whatever bird was at our feeder! Adios.

No comments: